I grew up before any foods, herbs and spices were bad for you. I am a fruit loving guy. I have always enjoyed apples, but I do like salt on the tart ones(cooking apples and Granny Smith). There were no Granny smith apples as I know of, as I grew up. But the green apples off any tree tasted like a Granny Smith. And I ALWAYS had salt to add to the green apples, that seemed to sweeten them.
In July the wild plums grew in NC, I liked them, but the ‘half-ripe’ ones were best to me. I WILL NEVER forget when we moved to Albemarle, NC there was a persimmon tree behind the church. Someone said, “NEVER bite a green Persimmon!” Bologna! (thinks I). I love green fruit. HA! I learned fast they were right. Now since I do not like ‘mushy’ fruit, the ripe ‘simmon’ is not a fruit I enjoy.
When we walked in the woods at Fort Jackson, SC, with my sister Kat, I learned that she and Sherry LOVED persimmons. At every persimmon tree I had to wait until they found all the ripe ones.
Albemarle, NC, I was 9-12 in Albemarle and I was introduced to the ripe Pomegranate. I loved that fruit, I was never to find another Pomegranate bush for the rest of my life. I have bought a few, but very seldom.
I love peaches, I prefer the ‘freestone’ ‘nearly ripe’. Ha! I also learned look look in the woods for Muscatine's (I called them muscadines) I don’t know where dad got them but he brought some Scupadines(?) home, Green in color, but a lot like the muscadine but bigger and more juice. I could eat the skins better. , loved them.
In Valdese, NC I was introduced to Grapes. There was a big grape vine in our back yard, purple grapes. Mmmm they were delicious and mama made the best grape jelly. Just above Jim & Bub Page’s house there was a Cherry tree. The owner put a net over it to keep the birds off. The lady allowed us to pick some to eat. Man, I loved them. But like the pomegranate, I never met another cherry tree.
I liked hard pears and pear apples.
There was seldom citrus at our house except at Christmas. I liked the orange, but everybody loves a tangerine because it is so easy to eat. Grapefruit? again salt, I love salt on my grapefruit.
I know I missed a lot of fruit, I love most melons, and never had blueberries until I was grown. My berry was the Black berry.
Nite Shipslog
PS:
I was grown before I ate Mango, Avacado, Raspberries and several more fruits.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<V>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
1955, the year I realized Cars cost a lot. Up to $3000. But I could still dream, it was Driver’s license time….

0 Yorumlar