As I've stated many times before, I'm very fond of level titles and regret they weren't included in any retro-clone I've seen thus far. I've come up with some titles for use by magic-users and clerics in my Dwimmermount campaign and am (mostly) happy with them. They're evocative and have a solid in-game justification for their existence.
The same cannot be of fighting men. Unlike clerics or magic-users, whose place in the setting can be tied to some sort of over-arching organizational structure, the same isn't the case for fighters, a class that's a lot more varied, encompassing everything from a battle-hardened northern barbarian to a highly trained knight to a peasant boy just off the farm. Is it even possible to find level titles that make sense for such a class?
I'd originally thought of coming up with some kind of pseudo-military ranking system for fighting men, but I'm honestly not sure that works very well. Why would a rootless mercenary call himself by the title as soldier in the employ of the city-state of Adamas, never mind a Northman raider? It may be that one of the unique aspects of the fighting man class is that it's so broad -- in effect the default class of anyone who isn't obviously any other class -- and thus lacks level titles of its own. In itself, that's not a bad idea, but there's still part of me that wishes there were an obvious solution.
If anyone comes up with one, please do share it; I'd appreciate it.

0 Yorumlar